Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Lesson in Service

Let me be very clear, when I got a call on Thursday night letting me know it was my turn to help clean the church this Saturday I was NOT happy. There couldn't be a bigger understatement. Let me explain a bit first.

Our church has no paid positions, which means all of the members are expected to pitch in and serve in a variety of capacities- including the pastoral work and the less glamorous stuff, like keeping the place clean.I normally really like this about the church, but I wasn't really interested in liking it at 8 am on a Saturday morning. My only morning to sleep in.

I was unbelievably even less enthusiastic when my alarm went off at 7 something am. Saying I was a bit grouchy would be pretty accurate. But I also decided that if I was going to do the thing, I might as well try to do it right. I said a quick prayer, asking for patience and guidance and that I could serve with the right heart. It didn't help that I was going alone (Landon usually works Saturdays)- though most people who know me well might find this surprising, I'm actually pretty shy around people I don't know and in new situations. This would be both for me because it was my first time helping to clean.

When I go there, several people were there to help out and point me in the right direction. I got assigned the task of cleaning windows. I figured that was something I could handle pretty simply. I have some experience with that- and it's not an activity that can really be too different, no matter where you do it. A funny thing happened. As I started to clean the windows and get into what I was doing, I realized I didn't mind it actually. A little more than that, I even started to enjoy myself. I started to think about the meaning of this weekend, and of sacrifice. I was struck profoundly that this weekend is marked to celebrate ultimate sacrifice and love. And that it represents a debt that I can never repay, and better yet, am not expected to. All that's asked of me is to do my best, and to do what I can. I was overcome with emotions and felt overwhelmed at this small part I got to play in helping to get our building ready for Easter services tomorrow. The small way that I could participate in service and sacrifice as a way to get a "spiritual tune up." I'm thankful that Heavenly Father doesn't mind working on me slowly, no matter how long it takes me to learn lessons. Or how many times I have to learn them!

I'm grateful today for the small opportunities I have to serve and for the blessings that come from prayer!

2 comments:

  1. That was a great story! I have the same struggle with myself when I'm asked to do things like clean the church, and it's nice to hear a little perspective on this Easter morning. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! He is risen...and He can see his worshipers through clean windows!

    ReplyDelete