Sunday, July 29, 2012

Unforeseen Blessings


Recently our family, and myself personally, have had an amazing blessing.  I’m not sure how many of you know this but I work at Convergys, which is a contact center for companies like Suddenlink, Comcast and other mass media companies. It isn’t a glamorous job, by any means, but it gets the job done. I had just graduated from Texas Tech in December (2011) with a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science which you can do absolutely nothing with except go get a Master’s. Kim and I had just gotten married so I was scrambling to find something that would help pay the bills. I took this job not knowing what it, or God, would have in store for me.

Several weeks ago, I applied for a call center agent position with Texas Tech’s Financial Aid Office. I was thinking that it would be a good resume point to work for Tech and in a relatively high profile office. By no means did I want to stay in the call center field but it was a pay increase and what I thought would be another small step up the ladder before I move on to a Master’s program. It was also the first chance I got to leaving Convergys. I had several other applications with offices around Texas Tech and couldn’t get an interview.

 I was somewhat nervous when I went for the interview but I made it through. They told me the position has changed slightly and it was no longer an interview for Financial Aid call center but the Student Business Services call center, which was being built as we were speaking. I thought “no big deal, it’s essentially the same job, just different office. I’m still game.” I thought it went well enough, but to tell you the truth when I got home I told Kim that I had a weird feeling about the whole thing and that I wasn’t sure if that job was right for me. I resigned to taking it though because it was indeed a pay increase and would look better on a grad school application than Convergys. 

I interviewed for the agent position on a Thursday. The next day I get a call from Bradley, one of the men who interviewed me. He said they appreciated me taking my time to come down and interview and that they were impressed. But he wasn’t calling to give me the call center agent job.  Instead, it was much more.  Since the call center was currently being built, they had no manager and they wanted to offer the job to me. My mind was, hmmm, blown? Yeah, it was blown.

After another interview and a few more anxious weeks, my first day on the job is August 1st and I couldn’t feel more blessed. I had no idea when I took the job at Convergys, back in January, that it would lead me to becoming a supervisor in the Texas Tech Student Business Services office.  This experience has really taught me that faith really precedes works and if you take what God gives you (i.e. a job at Convergys), he will use that to bless you. For those of you who know my past and the struggles I’ve had, you may realize even more how big of a deal this is for me.  This is a turning point in my life and my family’s life. It’s a game changer. Thanks for all your support and love.

1 comment:

  1. That's really awesome. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete